Scientifically, crystals are defined as solid substances having a naturally occurring geometric form. The atoms and molecules that form them are repeated in exactly the same way over and over, giving them their distinct, symmetrical appearance. Numerous types of crystals are formed naturally throughout the world and many different properties are associated with them.
Here are some the most popular varieties and their meanings.
- Calcite is one of the most common specimens of crystal. It comes in a rock formation most often, where you can see all the naturally formed crystals within the center. They are formed when the ideal combination of water, pressure and chemicals combine. These crystals are said to have a protective energy and they are also attractants. They are used to draw in healing, positive vibrations and amplify it.
- Clear quartz is among the most popular. It is often used in jewelry, home accessories and other products. It harmonizes and clears away negative vibrations. It is often combined with other crystals and stones to amplify their effects. As a purification stone, it is used often in energy work to release blockages and balance mental, emotional and spiritual energies.
- Rose quartz is the heart chakra crystal easily recognized by its soft pink color. This crystal is used to promote self-love, empathy for others and to help the wearer overcome heartache and grief. It is said to enhance healing on many levels.
- Amethysts are another beautiful form of crystal with a distinct array of purple coloring. This one is popular among healers for its soothing, anti-anxiety properties that relieve stress and related conditions. Amethyst is said to heal the mind and emotions, relieving headaches and promoting relaxation. Many use it as an aid for meditation to help quiet the mind so that higher awareness can emerge.
- Selenite is another well-known crystal with many uses. It has a soft, white color that is similar to moonlight, which is how it got its name. Selene is the Greek Goddess of the moon. Selenite crystals have a strong energy and are used to cleanse the aura and remove blockages. The promote healing on all levels: mental, emotional, physical and spiritual. They are often used to increase higher vibrations and promote a calm and relaxed atmosphere.
- Fluorite is another beautiful crystal that forms an array of colors. It is used to neutralize negative energies and balance brain function. It enhances concentration, focus and promotes clear decision making. Those who work with this crystal find it heightens intuition, but also promotes objectivity – a great combination.
- Amazonite is another gorgeous balancing crystal used to promote harmony between masculine and feminine energies. Wearing it promotes a good balance between creativity and analytical thought. It also helps calm emotions while promoting physical energy and endurance.
There is such a wonderful variety of crystals that can be used to perform a variety of functions. Used alone or combined, crystals promote healing, provide protection and enhance consciousness. Natural crystals serve as beautiful reminders of the wonders of creation being formed over thousands of years.